Saturday, February 09, 2008

Auto Repair Costs - Same Repair Three Different Prices - Shoot For the Middle!

I had to post this as it raises a very common scenario for many car repairs.

A client wrote to me asking:

I have an Acura TL 3.2, 1998. The muffler pipes between the exhaust and engine need to be replaced. I am getting three different prices:

Midas = $350.00
Acura Dealership = $600.00
Local Car Mechanic = $475.00


Which one sounds most reasonable, and who should I go with?


I responded:

You pose a fantastic question!

In short, given the age of the car - go with the $475. Just be sure that they're installing what's called a "direct fit" assembly - not some pieced together/makeshift jumble of cheap exhaust parts.

Stay far away from Midas - the precision of Acura and the hacks at Midas don't go well together.

The dealer's fine too - but the $475 will be the best bang for the buck...

My mother "still" tells me - get three estimates (on any type of service or product) and take the one in the middle - she's usually right - and she'll remind me of this often!

But check out this article too...
http://www.repairtrust.com/articles_dealer_locals.html

Let us know how you make out...

Thanks for the questions...

-Ted
RepairTrust
Making Sense Of Car Repair Prices